The American Gaited Mountain Horse LLC® was formed as an inclusive promotional service encompassing the various existing Mountain Horses that are registered and meet the standards set forth by Rocky Mountain, Mountain Pleasure and Kentucky Mountain. A new division has been added to promote the true spotted Mountain horses.
The Mountain Horses have been preserved in the Appalachian area for centuries by dedicated horsemen who appreciate the Mountain Horses natural gait, kind temperament, willingness and hardiness. These gentle Mountain horses were the foundation of the American gaited horses, and breeds known today as the American Saddlebred and the Tennessee Walking Horses. They are still prized for their unique abilities on the trail, cross country, obstacle and in show competitions. AGMH® is headquartered with UMH in Winchester, KY on the grounds of the “new” Kentucky Equestrian Center. The Center is a short drive from Lexington, KY, Kentucky Horse Park, Pilot Knob, Natural Bridge State Park and the breath taking Red River Gorge in the Daniel Boone National Park
AGMH® provides a certificate of Heritage Ancestry parentage for the Mountain Horse. This certifate of lineage notes the breed origins, significant show winnings, and Merit Awards of the horse on one cetificate.
The promotions and merits available through UMH/AGMH offers the Mountain Horses unification for the growing Mountain Horse industry.
The American Gaited Mountain Horse Association was formed in 2005 to provide a unifying registry for existing Mountain Horse breeds. The goals of the organization are:
- To record and preserve the pedigrees and accomplishments of registered Mountain Horses.
- To provide a means of registering Mountain Horses whose parents are each registered with different existing Mountain Horse registries.
- To provide a centralized data base for accumulating and disseminating to members, desired information on Mountain Horses of all breeds.
- To provide beneficial services for Members which encourage and reward ownership and participation in the Mountain Horse breeds.
- To provide a structure and organization encompassing all of the registered Mountain Horses, which will facilitate and encourage growth of the Mountain Horse industry.
- To promote, advertise and publicize the Mountain Horse.